Pleasantview School Grand Opening 1910
On June 3, 1909, a school bond was passed for the construction of a new two-story brick and stucco school building in the Pleasantview District of Kootenai Co., Idaho. The plans for this building were a big step up from the one-room frame schoolhouse just down the road a half-mile to the west, which had been in use since the fall of 1904. Construction began during that summer of 1909 and the new school, complete with His-and-Hers privies out back, was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1910.
Initially classes were held in two spacious 2nd floor classrooms (Grades 1 - 8 in the west room, Grades 9 - 12 in the east room). The auditorium, furnace room and teacher's quarters were on the 1st floor. Later, students in Grades 9 - 12 were sent to school in Post Falls and the west classroom became a recreation hall. By 1912 the massive furnace had been replaced with twin Smith System wood burners (one upstairs, one down), leaving the original furnace room space to be converted to a classroom for Grades 1 - 3. Grades 4 - 8 remained in the west classroom upstairs. The school operated until spring of 1937 and was officially consolidated with the Post Falls School District in 1940.
Pleasantview School remained a center for community activities: social clubs, charities, church services and 4H club for several decades after the 1937 closure; however, time and neglect took its toll on the building until 1971, when Glen Madison organized the Pleasantview Community Association and took steps to have the school registered with the Idaho Historic Preservation Council. The school district then quit-claimed the building and land to the Association, and in 1985, the building was placed on the National Historic Registry.